Tuesday, April 16, 2013

...and I'm back!

So I haven't written in this blog since last summer. The Trail of Cthulhu game came to a close in August and I never got around to writing up the last session. I can't recall the details, but it involved the usual antics. Kidnapping an army major in his bathrobe, infiltrating a small military base posing as evil psychologists, being discovered by terrifying experiments, and wild shooting and screaming in the middle of the night. It was only three table top sessions in all, and combined with a couple G+ Hangouts we made lots of story progress, but the group never really warmed to the gumshoe ruleset.
Ubiquitous "I'm back!" type image.

Since that time we played more Beacon run by the illustrious Mr.Todd and tried out FATE with Diaspora run by the indomitable Mr. Jeremy, both of which I enjoyed. Jeremy was especially brave to run Diaspora as it involved a lot of plot control from "the table" and I think we kinda destroyed what was probably a very interesting and intriguing plot by lighting pillows on fire and and de-orbiting space stations. Also by creating non-violent hippy worlds. Non-violent hippy worlds are the most boring places to go in an rpg by the way. Great in concept, but lead balloonish in play. Sorry about that Jeremy. I also got to run a one shot of Ashen Stars, which was lots of fun - it was an expansion of the Stowaway intro adventure. Interestingly the group liked the Gumshoe implementation in Ashen Stars. Fickle bastards.

But this past Friday I had the pleasure of starting up a Dungeon Crawl Classics game. This campaign will run for about eight sessions. So I'll summarize here for my group and anyone else that happens by.

1 comment:

  1. Do your thoughts on the Ashen Stars game. I thought it was a better implementation of gumshoe than trail because there seemed to be more points to spend on actions and so we could try more things, but that could just be an illusion based on the sci-fi setting. The 1920s approaches the Uncanny Valley for skills maybe.

    ReplyDelete